Re: I don't believe it.

To: jgruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>, spitfires
Subject: Re: I don't believe it.
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 26 Jun 2001 04:22:56 -0500
Jeff,

I can't remember where each of your engines came from, but this one without the
 bearing shell - have you ever heard it run?  An engine that is missing a big
 end bearing shell will make a HELL of a nasty clattering noise!  Been there,
 done that, my big end went a couple of months after I bought Daffy.  The
 engine still ran (sort of), and the clatter decreased with lower revs, so I
 nursed her very carefully to TRGB, but it was already to late, they
 recommended a total engine transplant.  With hindsight and greater knowledge
 that probably wasn't necessary, a re-ground crankshaft and new bearings would
 have done it, but I'm not compaining because the engine had done a fair
 distance already so, with the mileage I do (16,000/year) it would have needed
 replacing eventually, plus the new one ran on unleaded.

The reason the bearing and connecting rod aren't worn is, no doubt, because the
 engine was not run for long once the bearing shells fell out.  The abrasions
 you see are the damage made by the few seconds/minutes before the engine was
 stopped.

Yes, this will certainly cause a low compression reading!!

Richard & Daffy