Re: Mk. III Frnt end

To: BrYarboro <BrYarboro@aol.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mk. III Frnt end
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2001 12:03:27 -0500
Brian,

If the sway-bar is not flat, I would think it is not right.  I suspect that
 years of the dreaded Spitfire Leaning Syndrome have bent it permanantly so
 that it agrees with the lean.  Maybe you can fit it the other way round, to
 try and counter the lean :-)

I have heard of others splitting the calipers without problems.  The main
 hurdle seems to be that the seal between the two parts does not come with the
 re-build kit, so you have to track down a suitable O-ring from somewhere.
 Never done this, so I'm going on hearsay.

With the dust caps, the theory is that, if you screw in a screw that
 approximately fits in the hole (I thought they all had a hole as standard, but
 I guess if yours doesn't you can drill one), when that contacts the end of the
 stub axle keep screwing and the cap will be pulled off.  The practice is that
 the thread just makes the hole larger, and the bugger doesn't move.  I've
 never got mine off, so I must confess I've never added grease to my front hubs
 in 2 1/2 years.

The advice I've been given, and will act on one day, is to get the old ones off
 however you can, hit them, pry them, hacksaw them to pieces, destroy them.
 Get new ones, and weld a small nut on the inside.  With a decent thread, the
 screw system will work - and you can also use a very short screw to seal the
 hole between greasings.

Good luck!

Richard & Daffy