Re: Spring Compressor

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spring Compressor
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:09:09 -0400
> FWIW, I've never had to use a spring compressor on any
> Spitfire or GT6. But you *must* be careful.

I'm guessing the PO of my GT6 tried that same shortcut with the jack.  Trouble
was, he wasn't careful about the split-ring keepers, which moved out of
position while he lowered the jack.  This is just a guess, of course, but the
bottom line was, plain dumb luck was the only thing keeping my spring from
exploding right on the car.  The keepers (that fit into the impressed ring on
the shock casing) were half-fallen out.  Who knows how many potholes it would
have taken to finish the job?

Buy or borrow the proper tool and do it right.

--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,