Mk. III Frnt end

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Mk. III Frnt end
From: BrYarboro@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 11:32:47 EDT
Happy Father's Day, fellow Spitters!
I've rebuilding the front end of the Spit, replaced the rack on the '67 with
the '70 rack from the parts car (with new gaiters and paint), removed the
anti-sway bar, both LH and RH upper and lower wishbones, removed the shocks
from the springs, and calipers and rotors. I'll be replacing everything with
poly bushings and new bolts and nuts after repainting. The car looks pretty
weird, kind of like someone without their teeth. Only one side of the front
brakes was working, and one of the two pads on that side was down to  metal.
Here's where I need your help:
1) The sway bar doesn't lay flat on the ground, one side is roughly 3/4"
higher than the other. Does this mean it needs to be replaced, or is this
normal?
2. ) The only way to get the pistons out appears to be splitting the
calipers. What is the reason the manual from Triumph says not to?
3.) How do I remove  the dust caps on the front hubs? I remember a thread
about using a screw to get if off, but  how does one do this, and what do you
do afterwards, put it back on without the screw? If so, what keeps the dust
out?
4.) I want to paint the suspension with POR 15. Any comments or alternatives?
TIA.
Brian