Re: Mk. III Frnt end

To: "Richard B Gosling" <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>,
Subject: Re: Mk. III Frnt end
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:41:45 -0400
> I have heard of others splitting the calipers without problems.  The main
>  hurdle seems to be that the seal between the two parts does not come with
the
>  re-build kit, so you have to track down a suitable O-ring from somewhere.
>  Never done this, so I'm going on hearsay.

Type 12 calipers are pretty easy that way, but I understand thre type 14s
have a different, stretching bolt. BTW- Get a VW caliper piston puller to
assist your disassembly. I think the ones I saw were from Lisle tools,
though they may be discontinued.

> With the dust caps, the theory is that, if you screw in a screw that
>  approximately fits in the hole (I thought they all had a hole as
standard, but
>  I guess if yours doesn't you can drill one), when that contacts the end
of the
>  stub axle keep screwing and the cap will be pulled off.  The practice is
that
>  the thread just makes the hole larger, and the bugger doesn't move.  I've
>  never got mine off, so I must confess I've never added grease to my front
hubs
>  in 2 1/2 years.

I found just abusing them with a bladed screwdriver as a pry device worked
ok, just have to be careful not to destroy them.

Scott