Re: Feelin' Mighty Blue

To: Chuck Pedretti <chuckp@magenic.com>
Subject: Re: Feelin' Mighty Blue
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:07:21 -0600
Chuck Pedretti wrote:

> But that doesn't include the cost of the sleeve itself.  I don't know what a
> spitfire sleeve costs, but one for a small domestic V8 runs about $150 -
> more than the cost of another block.  In my experience with other motors,
> it's cheaper just to find another block.  Spitfire parts cars seem to only
> cost $200-$500 anyway, you could sell off the parts and be $$ ahead.

That would probably delay finishing the engine much longer than Frank
would like. Typically, the sleeve is oversize (about 1/8" thick) so it
can be pressed into place, so, in the way of machining, this requires
one overbore setup, pressing, reboring to correct size, and depending
upon the sleeve, a face mill of the block to clean up the amount
standing proud of the block surface. YMMV, but, together, about $60-75
worth of machine shop work, plus the cost of the sleeve.

The other alternative to finding another block, of course, would be to
bore for oversize pistons--boring and power-honing four pots shouldn't
be much more than the machining costs mentioned above, but one must
figure in the cost of new oversize pistons and rings.

Nevertheless, at this point, the shop should be questioned about the
overall condition of the remainder of the block before making a
decision. It sounds to me as if they found a score in one cylinder and
just stopped (otherwise, you'd have more information from them than
that). Have them check the condition of the rest of the block before
making a determination about another block, a sleeve, or reboring. They
should be checking for bore size, bore taper, bore out-of-round and
general condition of the rest of the block, including the main saddles.

A parts car might certainly be found cheaply, in time, but there's no
guarantee that the engine in it would be in any better condition than
the one you have. Providing the rest of the engine is in good condition,
sleeving would be the quickest, lowest cost option, depending upon
machine shop rates in your area.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.