RE: transmission rebuild kit

To: Spit List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: transmission rebuild kit
From: Chuck Pedretti <chuckp@magenic.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 08:42:52 -0500
Well, my replacement transmission showed up yesterday - out of a 66
spitfire.  Greasy box sitting on my doorstep, when i picked it up, I thought
- oh no, it's not all in there;)  Turns out that it just weighs about 150lbs
less than the tranny in my jeep.

I immediately took it apart and found something which concerns and puzzles
me.  There were little tiny roller bearings in the bottom of the case, some
of them smashed into bits.  It took me a long time to figure out where they
came from since the early spit trans has no needle bearings.

Turns out that somehow the torrington bearing that sits between the input
shaft and the output shaft had self destructed and somehow the pieces had
gotten out from between the shafts.  There appears to be no gear damage.
The parts are all soaking in kerosene to get the thick black gunk off, so
hopefully I can inspect the pieces better tonight.

Chuck Pedretti
Senior Consultant, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
Magenic Technologies

http://www.magenic.com - Magenic Technologies website