Re: transmission rebuild kit

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Subject: Re: transmission rebuild kit
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 00:40:35 -0600
Nolan Penney wrote:

> No, bearings are not all the same, by any means.  Visit a bearing shop some
>time
> and you'll see what I mean.
>
> Chuck Pedretti wrote:
>
> > As far as I know bearings are bearings.

As Nolan suggests, all bearings are not created equal. <smile> Most
bearings are available in a variety of grades. Two bearings which to the
naked eye may seem identical, but are, in fact, vastly different,
because of the grade. By U.S. standards, there are seven grades of
bearing, ABEC-1 through ABEC-7. Typically, most OEM automotive parts are
grade 2 or 3. This doesn't even address manufacturing and design
differences between manufacturers. The best bearings last longer, but
cost more.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.

///