Re: transmission rebuild kit

To: "Spit List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: transmission rebuild kit
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 20:02:44 +0100
Hi Chuck
I have in the past bought a master rebuild kit for a gearbox, (in the UK)
the synchro rings were visibly of a lower quality than the originals, we
kept the originals! Others gave this advice to me recently when I posted a
question about the A type O/D. (I wasn't planning on changing anything other
than bearings, but people don't want to let you make a mistake like that so
they send the info anyway! this list is gooood!) It is real easy to make a
list of the bits needed, I just did this for my 2.5PI lots of places don't
even sell the gaskets as a kit as they no longer come that way, half a dozen
gaskets at 60 pence each.
You won't get the thrust washers as a kit as these are selected for size
according to the freeplay on each gearset.
Whatever you do FIT A NEW CIRCLIP to the main shaft if you remove the old
one. If you are not going to disturb the gearsets I would leave the
original. I would get a circlip just in case the original is accounted for
in the filings stuck to the magnet!

Graham,
1967 1300 FWD
1968 2000 Saloon