Title question

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Title question
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:07:36 -0500
I bought a very early 71 spit in missouri.  I was told that it was complete,
and not that bad of shape.  Well when I got there, it was in a lot worse
shape than I expected!  Rot in rear wings, NO floorboards, motor incomplete
(though "SAH tuned") and frozen, and unfortunately NO TITLE!  At least the
frame was solid and it had a restorable hardtop.  Well, I tried to back out
do to "no title" and they would not return my deposit.  Several agruments
later, I wound up taking it home with a signed, complete, bill of sale for
just the deposit ($375) but no title.  I had a cop friend run the commission
number and the vehicle was not stolen.  Do any of you have a clue how to get
a title, or is this poor spit going to be a parts donor only.  A friend at
work suggested Hemmings, but I can't find anything in the latest copy.  I
hate to part out a "restorable" spit, but what can you do without a title??

Bill