Aluminum Frame

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Aluminum Frame
From: "Bowen, Patrick A" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:25:08 -0400
Here is a question, has anyone ever tried to make an aluminum frame for a
Spitfire?  While the Spitfire is a light car it is actually a heavy design.
As just a guess, you could probably shave more than 500 pounds just by
switching some major components to aluminum, items such as frame,
bellhousing, differential casing, tranny casing maybe, suspension components
such as a-arms, I am sure the list could go on.  While I am not currently
interested in taking this project on this weekend, or anytime soon.  It is
one I would like to entertain.  What are the experiences with aluminum.  any
reason (given both money and time) why this would be a bad idea.  Lotus uses
it extensively for lightweight cars.  Would cost, durability, strength, or
anything else be an obstacle.

Pushing the edge,
Patrick Bowen