Newbie Intro

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Newbie Intro
From: JOrwin308@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:35:35 EDT
Well, I have been lurking on the list for a while now, and thought I would
share my plight with the list.

I have a '78 Spitfire that I purchased in 1995.  It was originally a CA car
and has 64K original miles.  It is in pretty good overall shape, but really
needs to be painted at least.  I haven't touched the car since '97.

There is a story behind my loss of interest.  I had been working pretty
feverishly on the car since I purchased it.  I have a one car garage, so I
was getting ready to trailer it over to a friend's 8 car garage to do some
general work.  It was up on jack stands, so I needed to get it down.  Here is
where stupidity comes in.  I didn't have a floor jack, so I used the one in
my truck.  Front of the car came down with no probs. I lifted the rear,
removed the stands, and started to lower it.  On it's way down, the car
slipped off of the jack.  That nice little seam that runs along the lower
rear valance sliced right through the top of my hand.  Fortunately, it
stopped at the bone.  The end result was a big cut, and 2 severed tendons
(middle and ring fingers).

I immediately grounded the car as it was obviously to blame.  Before I
stopped working on it, I managed to strip and paint the wheels, installed new
carpet and seat interior, and bought lots of parts.  The list of new things
includes tires, hub caps, lug nuts, front left valance, gas cap,
dimmer/signal/horn switch, convertible top.....and lots of little things.
The car also came with a hard top.

So, now I am finally ready to resume!  Immediate problems include a puddle of
brake fluid under the car, probably from the clutch slave cylinder as that
was giving me problems before I parked it.  This list is sure to be a great
resource to me, and I thank you all in advance for the numerous questions I
am sure will have.

Peace,
John Orwin

P.S.  Any listers in the SLC, UT area?