Re: Aluminum Frame

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aluminum Frame
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:24:52 -0400 (EDT)
I'd bet cost would be the primary issue (beyond setting a jig, using a tig
to get _really_ nice welds, not being able to be off even a little bit of
the car never steers straight, etc.)  also (and this is a little less of a
big deal, but still...) aluminum will eventually fatigue and crack.  it
may take a long time (like 1000's of years), but eventually repeated
vibration causes cracks in aluminum.  it may happen in just a few years.
depends on the vibration and engineering, etc.  and finally, depending on
how you build the frame, you may have to use enough aluminum to get
desired stiffness, especially on a convertable, to almost lose your weight
savings.  might be better (and cheaper) to investigate fiberglass or
carbon fiber(!) body panels, or pick a car with a roof (g.t. 6) so you can
more easily make a frame out of aluminum tubing--light and stiff.  I dig
the tranny case, bellhousing and suspension member ideas, though.  maybe
even a aluminum block?  you can have almost anything cast--for a price...

scott