RE: 1500 dual SU and Knocking noise

To: "'Dave Chu'" <dave@ece.concordia.ca>,
Subject: RE: 1500 dual SU and Knocking noise
From: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:24:51 -0500
Dave,

There can be a number of reasons for a nocking noise in an engine, rod
bearings, a loose wrist pin in a piston, oil pump, wide valve lash, bent
distributor shaft.  Main bearings don't normally cause a nocking noise unless
they are so worn that there is no oil preasure (and in that case it's not the
mains knocking, it's the rods!).  I suppose that you could change bearings in
the engine with the engine in the car.  I've done it many times in bigger
American cars and trucks, but I'm not sure I'd want to try it laying on my
back, under a Spit.

One thing you could do to try and isolate the noise is get a 'mechanic's
stethescope'.  You can buy one for not too much ($15-$20 US) at most discount
parts stores.  Use it to find where in the engine the noise is coming from
(high, low, front, back, etc.).  A cheaper way to go is just use a long
screwdriver or metal rod, just be very carefull how close you get to moving
parts.  When placed up by your ear and then touched to the engine the
screwdriver will transmit the sound and help isolate it.

Good luck!

Thanks,
Paul Mostrom
'77 Spitfire 1500
'80 Ford F-100 (Triumph Support Vehicle)

'Black holes, where God divided by zero......'