Re: 1500 dual SU and Knocking noise

To: "Tom Shirley" <tshirley@VoyagerOnline.net>
Subject: Re: 1500 dual SU and Knocking noise
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:51:32 -0400

In message <00c001bef3e4$02788b20$94ac2ad1@tomshirley>you write:

>> The only draw back is, it now does not
>> have as good pick up as before (even with the now AN needle).  I guess is
>> because with the .009" jets it is not sucking in loads of fuel like it was
>> doing with the .01" jet.  With the car running better and
>> less noisy I now notice a knocking noise from the engine.  It is there
>> when the car first starts up and sometime I can hear it while
>accelerating.
>
>Sounds like you've got the mixture too lean. Better check your plugs. If
>they're white or light gray looking, your mixture is too lean and in a worst
>case scenario, you'll burn a piston, probably #2 or #3.

  I don't think the problem is the mixture.  I've check it with my
  Colourtune (finally got to use it) and set it a little rich.  To
  make sure I also pulled the plugs after a drive and found them to
  be gray/brown.

  However, I did recall awhile back there was a discussion about bearings
  making knocking noise when worn.  But I don't remember if it was the main
  or rod bearings.  On the other hand it can be just me looking for more
  things to do on the car now that I have the electrical (BTW, thanks for
  the wiring diagram) and carb. fixed up.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html