Re: [personals] HHE seeks pair SUC

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [personals] HHE seeks pair SUC
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@mrdog.msl.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:24:50 -0400
Hi to all correspondents.

Thanks for the notes; I have requested an official SU parts book and
manual from Burlen (the folks who took over the SU business, if I read
their history correctly).  My interest in finding out what engines
these carbs were fitted to is mostly because I want to try to post to
the right list when asking for assistance -- there doesn't seem to be
an SU afficianado list. :)

I have an intake and exhaust system, I just want to make sure I have
all the right parts for the carbs.  I already rebuilt my room-full of
HS2 carbs, then decided they wont fit right, so its on to the H2s.
The cylinder head has siamesed ports, FWIW.

To clarify the carburettor situation a little,

1.  They are definitely H2 (not HS2 or HIF2 or HD2) -- integral float
    chamber with non-pivoting brass float.  Rides up and down on a
    little "post" if you will, that (IIRC) is cast as part of the
    bowl.  Jet assembly is "sealed" within the carrier by two small
    sealing rings tensioned by a [compression] spring between them.
    There is no external hose from the float chamber to the jet body
    (that was an HS2 development.)

2.  Both choke levers are essentially horizontal.  Rear carb choke
    lever points forward, front carb choke lever points rearward.
    H-carbs lowered the jet by pivoting the lever against a link that
    was fitted on one side of the carb to a "wing"; the opposite side
    of the carb had an identical "wing" into which the jet return
    spring was attached.  I've seen H-carbs where one of the choke
    actuating levers was horizontal, and the other had a dog-leg going
    down; both of mine are like this (please use your imagination;
    this is looking straight into the inlet of the rear carb, with the
    air cleaner rendered transparent)

              v====== this is the carb throat, see the piston?
           o ( ) o     <====== these are the two little "wings"
   spring  =  I  |
           =  I  |           choke cable lifts here (at the "o")
           o--x--o-----------o <======= this is the lever; jet
                                        attachment is at the "x"
                  \
                   \== lever pivots here, against the | link, causing
             the spring to be elongated and the jet to be pulled down.

3.  The throttle return spring is only on one carb (the rear) and is a
    torsion spring, wrapped around the throttle shaft.

4.  I also have HS2 carbs, but they won't fit too well on the manifold
    (insufficient clearance to the exhaust header).