RE: [personals] HHE seeks pair SUC

To: "'Donald H. Locker'" <dhl@mrdog.msl.com>
Subject: RE: [personals] HHE seeks pair SUC
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:19:07 -0500
Donald,

All of the Sprites/Midgets 1962-1973/4 had the carbs you're looking for.
Also all of the Mini Cooper/Cooper S's, 1961-1971.  Even the Spitfires had
such carbs until 1969..  I have both an early (6 port) manifold and a later
8-port twin SU manifolds for the Spitfire kicking around.

The Moss Sprite/Midget catalog has good exploded view diagrams.  There's
also a Haynes SU book, there should even be passable tuning descriptions in
the Haynes or Bently Spitfire manuals.

Just about all the major players (TRF, Moss, Vicky B, Spitbits, BPNW, Mini
Mania, Mini City, Seven Enterprises, etc) will gladly take your $$$ and send
you the repair pieces.  As long as the throttle shaft holes aren't too bady
worn typically you can cure a loose throttle shaft by replacing the shaft
alone... you'd be surprised at how much the brass shaft is worn.  If the
needle is showing signs of wear down near the tip then it's been rubbing in
the jet, time for a new set (needle and jet).  The gasket kit should include
a new float valve...  then you're set.

I don't know if you've figured out the correct needles to use.. you might
try mining the list again.

Cheers,

Jim