Re: Theft Proofing

To: "Bill Gunshannon" <bill@cs.uofs.edu>, <brichard@us.oracle.com>
Subject: Re: Theft Proofing
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:07:13 -0700
> > Didn't say it was the best, but if someone tried to hot wire the car,
> > and it won't start, they'll probably leave.

The 'experts' say that thieves look for a quick steal-that if they have to
stand there and search and mess with it-they're less likely to steal it. The
longer they stand there, the more likely they are of getting caught.

> I have never stolen a car in my life,
> but before the introduction of the steering column lock, I hotwired lots
> of cars.

Same disclaimer...but sheesh! I hated it when they started using that
steering column lock!

> I work in the computer business and this is like "security by obscurity"
> it makes you feel good, but it really offers no protection.

Makes me feel really good! (Espacially when grown men stand there and debate
as to what kind of car it is-and none of them get it right!

Laura G. and Nigel