Re: Theft Proofing

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Theft Proofing
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:55:47 -0700

Laura Gharazeddine wrote:

> > > Didn't say it was the best, but if someone tried to hot wire the car,
> > > and it won't start, they'll probably leave.
>
> The 'experts' say that thieves look for a quick steal-that if they have to
> stand there and search and mess with it-they're less likely to steal it. The
> longer they stand there, the more likely they are of getting caught.
>
> > I have never stolen a car in my life,
> > but before the introduction of the steering column lock, I hotwired lots
> > of cars.
>
> Same disclaimer...but sheesh! I hated it when they started using that
> steering column lock!

And in my expirience, the steering lock doesn't make it much harder
to steal (or drive without the key). It just makes it a lot harder
to do without damaging the car.

> > I work in the computer business and this is like "security by obscurity"
> > it makes you feel good, but it really offers no protection.

Theres a big difference. In the computer industry, we're talking about
thousands of systems which have THE SAME security hole, and the
publisher
of the product not disclosing the hole. Once the hole is found, all
the sytems are open. This would be akin to the manufatcurer
putting in a 'hidden' switch to bypass the ignition.  If you make
your own, unique system, your chances ARE improved. As Laura points
out, very few thieves will sit and try to trace out your whole wiring
system to hotwire your car. Of course in the computer industry we also
say
that there is no such thing as a  secure system. Personally, I've used
the
'pocket the rotor' method. I've also considered taking the steering
wheel
(since it's an aftermarket one held one with six allen bolts.)

> Makes me feel really good! (Espacially when grown men stand there and debate
> as to what kind of car it is-and none of them get it right!

When I bought mine, a kid in the parking lot said 'Oh look, a Cobra'
Now where's that 427?

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com