Re: [Shop-talk] Jump starting a late model car

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Jump starting a late model car
From: Gene Garrison <gene@garrison-grafixx.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:44:25 -0800
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net

--------------vumeLfNrHW3yipN1pFDdoeyU

Yeah, I watched this video a few months back when I was replacing the
timing chain and phasers on my 2012 F150.  Saw this thing hanging off
the battery and wondered what it was.  Apparently they're really
concerned that you have adequate battery juice to power things like
electrically assisted power steering, auto stop/start, etc.  And will
start turning off accessories if necessary.

I can't imagine that they would prevent the vehicle from restarting just
because the computer thinks the battery is dead, but who knows.

- GeneG

On 12/2/23 08:14, Doug Braun wrote:

> An interesting topic!  I didn't realize how sophisticated these BMSes
> are.  I found a video that explains the Ford version very well:
> https://youtu.be/I_KmO-KaR4A
>
> Doug
>

> On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 1:35â?¯PM Gene Garrison
> <gene@garrison-grafixx.com> wrote:
>
>     The BMS was my first thought.  In connecting to the battery posts
>     to start the car, you would be bypassing the BMS, so it wouldn't
>     "know" about the charge and would think the battery was still
>     dead.  But this would have affected the Lexus (which had the dead
>     battery), not the F150.
>
>     Other than that, I agree.  I can't think of any reason it would
>     cause damage.  Just don't put the two batteries in series.
>
>     - GeneG

--------------vumeLfNrHW3yipN1pFDdoeyU

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
      the timing chain and phasers on my 2012 F150.  Saw this thing
      hanging off the battery and wondered what it was.  Apparently
      they're really concerned that you have adequate battery juice to
      power things like electrically assisted power steering, auto
      stop/start, etc.  And will start turning off accessories if
      necessary.</p>
      restarting just because the computer thinks the battery is dead,
      but who knows.</p>
cite="mid:CAOtbU9X4DWyESGnN4Kx7S3GJ5mAzrmuC8L_eBZBCaCxrgXDrkw@mail.gmail.com">
          these BMSes are.  I found a video that explains the Ford
          version very well:  <a href="https://youtu.be/I_KmO-KaR4A";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://youtu.be/I_KmO-KaR4A</a></div>
            1:35â?¯PM Gene Garrison &lt;<a
              href="mailto:gene@garrison-grafixx.com";
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">gene@garrison-grafixx.com</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                battery posts to start the car, you would be bypassing
                the BMS, so it wouldn't "know" about the charge and
                would think the battery was still dead.  But this would
                have affected the Lexus (which had the dead battery),
                not the F150.</p>
                it would cause damage.  Just don't put the two batteries
                in series.</p>

--------------vumeLfNrHW3yipN1pFDdoeyU--

--===============2024930175291358711==

--===============2024930175291358711==--