Re: [Shop-talk] Jump starting a late model car

To: Donald H Locker <dhlocker@protonmail.com>, shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Jump starting a late model car
From: JohnT Blair <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 09:24:47 -0500 (EST)

------=_Part_242647_871775161.1701440687267

On 12/01/2023 7:21 AM EST you wrote:

>I think someone is pulling someone else's leg. There is
>nothing (that I know of) in any post-2000 vehicle that can be
>"fried" by providing or accepting a jump, provide it's done
>properly (+ to + and - to -).

Donald,

Thanks for the reply.  I agree with you, but I haven't stayed up with the
"state of the art" when it comes to the newer cars.  My newest car is a '12
Scion xB.  Everything gets older from there.  I'd never heard of electric
parking brakes until my nephew had problems with his.  So I had to come up to
speed there.  So that's why I posted the questions.

>The "dead" battery does not appear as a short because the
>cables and clamps have significant resistance. That is the
>big reason that the "dead" battery needs to be connected
>for a period of time before cranking. (I usually wait 30 sec
>(longer in winter); not very long, but it really doesn't take
>much to bring a dead battery up to sufficient charge.)

Exactly!!!

>The protections on vehicle electronics and electrical
>systems are amazing; I've helped design and test quite a
>few of them.

Again, exactly what I thought.  How hard is it to put a fuse, a MOV, and or a
diode in each circuit to protect it from surges and incorrect polarity.

>Protection is built in to every component against: over-
>voltage; reverse connection; shorts to ground; shorts to
>power. The battery itself is a very simple electrochemical
>device that _can_ be damaged, but it's difficult: freezing
>(-40F if charged; -20F if significantly discharged); reverse
>charging; mechanical damage is the most common
>problem.

Good info.

>Provided the jumper and jumpee batteries are connect
>properly (+ to + and - to -), there is almost no way to
>damage either of the vehicles' systems.

My thoughts exactly.  Otherwise you'd have to remove a dead battery to charge
it.

Thanks for the info.  That reinforces my thoughts exactly.  I just wanted some
addition support.

JohnT,

Va. Beach, Va                    Phone:  (757) 495-8229

65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)   48 TR1800    48 #4
Midget
65 & 77 Spitfire   71 Saab Sonett III   65 Rambler Classic   65 Volvo P1800

Morgan:    http://autox.team.net/morgan/
Bricklin:    http://www.bricklin.org/

>From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
     e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
     In God We Trust
     Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                  oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

------=_Part_242647_871775161.1701440687267

<!doctype html>
 <head>
 </head>