Re: [Shop-talk] Jump starting a late model car

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Jump starting a late model car
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 06:32:47 -0800

--------------3O4DVv0vd5LTqAH0bHjg7YOw

I got into a discussion on a Mustang forum when I posted I wanted to
swap batteries without losing all my radio and other presets (I would
have connected another battery in parallel). People on the forum brought
up Fords's 'BMS;' which was new turf to this old dog. There are,
apparently, some possible issues with this system (the Mustang has them
too). In the end, I pulled an Elon--'F-it'--and just swapped the
batteries like I always have and only lost the settings for my custom
drive mode. I think it possible that some who don't understand the BMS
may have started this rumor; I suspect you can damage these somehow but
a simple jump shouldn't do it as you're not passing any current through
it (unless you connect to a hot lead somewhere). The only modification
to this time-proven technique--jumping a car--is you're now admonished
to hook ground to the chassis somewhere instead of the common battery
terminal, which I've always assumed was to avoid a spark which could
ignite any lingering H2 gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_KmO-KaR4A

bs

On 12/1/2023 4:22 AM, Donald H Locker wrote:

> [...]
>> connection; shorts to ground; shorts to power. The battery itself is
>> a very simple electrochemical device that _can_ be damaged, but it's
>> difficult: freezing (-40F if charged; -20F if significantly
>> discharged); reverse charging; mechanical damage is the most common
>> problem.
>>
>> Provided the jumper and jumpee batteries are connect properly (+ to +
>> and - to -), there is almost no way to damage either of the vehicles'
>> systems.
>>
>> Donald.
>>
>> On 2023-11-30 17:12, JohnT Blair wrote:
>>> I come to the well of knowledge looking for information.
>>> My sister just emailed me about her having a friend jump start her
>>> late model Lexis from his F150 pickup.  He got her started and then
>>> drove his truck to someplace and parked it.  When he tried to start
>>> it, it wouldn't start.  He had it towed to a dealership and they
>>> said his battery was fried.
>>> In my sister's email she said that she has found out that you
>>> shouldn't jump start a car made from 2000 on.
>>> My question is why and how do you start a car with a dead battery?
>>> I realize that the jumping car should be running, so that gives the
>>> possiblity of too much current being drawn from the jumping car as
>>> it's got a good battery and an alternator capable of putting out
>>> well over 100A!  So the jumped car's dead battery looks like a short
>>> circuit.  Bad - lots of current!
>>> So disconnecting the dead battery and putting it on a battery
>>> charger to give it a more controlled charge should be OK.
>>> But that's not easy to do in a parking lot.
>>> What about these jump boxes, especially the little ones like
>>>
>>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/NEXPOW-Battery-Jump-Starter-1500A-Peak-12800mAh-Car-Starter-up-7-0L-Gas-5-5L-Diesel-Engine-12V-Portable-Booster-Power-Bank-Box-LED-Light/534414164?adsRedirect=true
>>>
>>> But that is supposedly capable of 1500A!!!
>>>
>>> I did a google search on the subject and found an article talking
>>> about all the problems that you can have doing this.  But the
>>> article really didn't say if these problems were to the jumping or
>>> the jumped car or both.
>>>
>>> So what is the collective knowledge about this?  What am I missing?
>>>
>>> JohnT,
>>>

>>> John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email: jblair1948@cox.net
>>>
>>> Va. Beach, Va Phone:  (757) 495-8229
>>> 65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)   75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)   48
>>> TR1800    48 #4 Midget
>>> 65 & 77 Spitfire   71 Saab Sonett III   65 Rambler Classic   65
>>> Volvo P1800
>>> Morgan: http://autox.team.net/morgan/
>>> Bricklin: http://www.bricklin.org
>>>
>>> If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
>>> If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!
>>>
>>> From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
>>>      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
>>>      In God We Trust
>>>      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting
>>> for
>>> oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>
  </head>
[...]
    lingering H2 gas.<br>
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_KmO-KaR4A";>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_KmO-KaR4A</a><br>
    bs<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:e5384526-49a1-4fb2-bb8a-5df63705a81e@protonmail.com">
        information to the contrary, I'm open to changing my mind.</p>
        Donald.<br>
        wrote:<br>
        cite="mid:bf47de2d-ae42-466a-9a86-4c4d03494b5d@protonmail.com">
          content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
          nothing (that I know of) in any post-2000 vehicle that can be
          "fried" by providing or accepting a jump, provide it's done
          properly (+ to + and - to -).</p>
          cables and clamps have significant resistance. That is the big
          reason that the "dead" battery needs to be connected for a
          period of time before cranking. (I usually wait 30 sec (longer
          in winter); not very long, but it really doesn't take much to
          bring a dead battery up to sufficient charge.)</p>
          are amazing; I've helped design and test quite a few of them.
          Protection is built in to every component against:
          over-voltage; reverse connection; shorts to ground; shorts to
          power. The battery itself is a very simple electrochemical
          device that _can_ be damaged, but it's difficult: freezing
          (-40F if charged; -20F if significantly discharged); reverse
          charging; mechanical damage is the most common problem.</p>
          (+ to + and - to -), there is almost no way to damage either
          of the vehicles' systems.</p>
          wrote:<br>
          cite="mid:510083893.2718443.1701382371753@myemail.cox.net">
            content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
            looking for information. </div>
            her having a friend jump start her late model Lexis from his
            F150 pickup.  He got her started and then drove his truck to
            someplace and parked it.  When he tried to start it, it
            wouldn't start.  He had it towed to a dealership and they
            said his battery was fried. </div>
            she has found out that you shouldn't jump start a car made
            from 2000 on. </div>
            start a car with a dead battery? </div>
            should be running, so that gives the possiblity of too much
            current being drawn from the jumping car as it's got a good
            battery and an alternator capable of putting out well over
            100A!  So the jumped car's dead battery looks like a short
            circuit.  Bad - lots of current! </div>
            and putting it on a battery charger to give it a more
            controlled charge should be OK. </div>
            parking lot. </div>
            especially the little ones like </div>
href="https://www.walmart.com/ip/NEXPOW-Battery-Jump-Starter-1500A-Peak-12800mAh-Car-Starter-up-7-0L-Gas-5-5L-Diesel-Engine-12V-Portable-Booster-Power-Bank-Box-LED-Light/534414164?adsRedirect=true";
                moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://www.walmart.com/ip/NEXPOW-Battery-Jump-Starter-1500A-Peak-12800mAh-Car-Starter-up-7-0L-Gas-5-5L-Diesel-Engine-12V-Portable-Booster-Power-Bank-Box-LED-Light/534414164?adsRedirect=true</a></p>
              1500A!!! </p>
              subject and found an article talking about all the
              problems that you can have doing this.  But the article
              really didn't say if these problems were to the jumping or
              the jumped car or both.</p>
              about this?  What am I missing?</p>
style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">John T.
                Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  <a
                  class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated moz-txt-link-freetext"
                  href="mailto:jblair1948@cox.net";

              Phone:  (757) 495-8229 </div>
                75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)   48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget
              Sonett III   65 Rambler Classic   65 Volvo P1800 </div>
                href="http://autox.team.net/morgan/";
                moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/morgan/</a>
                href="http://www.bricklin.org/"; moz-do-not-send="true"
                class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.bricklin.org</a>
style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">If you are
                reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!</span></p>
style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">From Dennis
                Prager - The American Trilogy:</span> <br>
style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">     e
                pluribus Unum, "from many, one."</span> <br>
style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">     In God
                We Trust</span> <br>
style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">     Liberty
                - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting
                for  </span> <br>
style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica,
sans-serif;">
                oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction  </span>

--------------3O4DVv0vd5LTqAH0bHjg7YOw--

--===============4822636104407682321==

--===============4822636104407682321==--