Re: [Shop-talk] Enclosed car trailer

To: Brad Kahler <bkahler1@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Enclosed car trailer
From: Philip Ethier <pethier7@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 00:22:21 -0500
Cc: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Brad Kahler <bkahler1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sometime in the next 6 months or so I'm thinking about buying an enclosed
> car trailer for hauling my TR6 behind my motorhome.
>
> For those of you who may have been down this road I'd like to ask a few
> questions:
>
> 1)  Did you use E-track for tying the car down?

Yes.  The is no place on an Elise I want to put a hook on.  Stag is
pretty-much the same story.

> 2)  If you used E-track how did you fasten it to the floor?

1/4-inch bolts. Like 400 of them.  2" fender washers and Nyloc nuts.  Every
hole gets a bolt.

> 3)  If you used E-track how hard is it to tire bonnets with ratchets on a
> small car like a TR6?

Easy.  Use the three-point system.  End of the strap is E-track clip.  Then
the strap (for the elise, with wide tires over the E-track) or
basket-formed from straps (for cars with narrower track and/or skinny
tires).  Then a strap-pulley attached to an E-track clip.  Then the ratchet
(which runs horizontally outside the outline of the car).  Then the third
and final E-track clip.

> 4)  If you didn't use E-track how did you tie the car down?
>
> 5)  Did you get an extended tongue?

No.

> 6)  Would you prefer a torsion axle over leaf springs?

Yes.  The load floor is lower.

> 7)  Did you get any 120vac wiring installed or did you wire it yourself for
> 120vac?

No.

> 8)  Did you opt for a roof top air conditioner?

No.

> 9)  Did you buy a 7' wide, 8' wide or 8'-6" wide trailer?  And why did you
> select that width?

8'-6".  I like to have room to get around the car.  In addition, I have a
left access door.  Being able to open the car door on the Elise is a must,
unless I always winch it in.  My winch with a wireless remotw cost 50 bucks
on sale at Harbor Freight.