Re: [Shop-talk] Enclosed car trailer (random thoughts)

To: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Enclosed car trailer (random thoughts)
From: Brad Kahler <bkahler1@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 10:47:54 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015, Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA wrote:
>
>> Here?s what I?ve learned:
>>

>    Since we're on the topic; two simple little things that make hauling
> cars much easier for me.  Both came on my current trailer, but I will
> install them on my next x trailers.
>
>    Tie-down hangers.  Just two little pieces of aluminum angle, with a few
> holes drilled in one leg, mounted to the top of the walls roughly above
> each floor d-ring.  Unhook the tie-down from the car, and hang that end on
> the up on the wall.  The opposite end always stay hooked to the d-rings,
> but out of the way.  I can drive in and be securely tied-down in under a
> minute, if necessary.

Nice idea!  I would assume that the D-rings are pretty much located in the
outer corners of the trailer for this to work effectively.

>    Floor-level wall-mounted E-track.  Mine goes the entire trailer length,
> but really the handiest bit is between the human door and the wheel wells.
> Here I keep two E-track beam pockets, and a 2x4 spanning the width of the
> trailer.  Drive in 'til the front wheels hit the 2x4, and you're good.  No
> fussing around with positioning the car.  Hook the front tie-downs and pull
> the car against the 2x4, then attach the rears.  Not moving from the same
> spot every time.  Also doubles as an anchor point when using a come-along
> to trailer a dead racecar ( I could buy a winch, but some people pay good
> money for that workout ;) )

I've seen setups similar to what you describe but I've never looked to see
how they were setup.  I'm going to have to look at what sort of attachments
are available for e-track.

Thanks,

Brad