Re: [Shop-talk] Enclosed car trailer

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Enclosed car trailer
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 14:32:24 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 9 Sep 2015, Mike Rambour wrote:
> Open trailer with beaver tail, I personally have never seen a reason for a
> enclosed trailer.

    OT, but having had both, you will pry my box trailer from my cold dead
hands.

    Reasons:

        1. Weather.  I used to have hundreds of pounds of snow and ice
collected on my open trailer and the entire front of the racecar after a
couple hour tow.  Even if you don't tow in winter like I do, it probably
still rains where you are.  I used to have to have (operable) windows in
my racecars, when I had an open trailer.  No more.  No more glass
exploding all over me in a crash.  No more foggy or opaque Lexan.

        2.  Everything doesn't have to be in the racecar or in the truck.
I have tool boxes and other storage in the trailer.  Some things can just
be tossed in.

        3.  Ramps!  No more pulling the ramps out from their under-deck
storage, fussing around with getting them in place, putting them away,
getting them back out to load, etc.  Drop the door, drive in, done. (
Admittedly, slide-out and fold-down ramps are not as bad... )

        4.  Storage.  The racecar sits in the trailer in storage most of
the year.  Don't have to worry about the racecar leaking in the rain,
baking in the sun, getting infested with rodents, etc.

        5.  Safety.  Other drivers don't gawk at whatever I'm hauling,
which means they are looking at the road ( as much as they ever do, anyway
).  Cops don't see a racecar, either, and I am just fine with that.

        6.  Regarding one trailer... I've only had one at a time.
I've hauled construction debris in a box.  Brought home 2 tons of stone
that was loaded by fork truck.  A tree, once.  Moved my sister-in-law's
three bedroom house half across the country ( loaded floor-to-ceiling
front-to-back ).  Picked up a friend's new roofless project car, got
caught in a thunderstorm on the way home... no problem.  I could camp in
it, if need be.  The only thing I've ever moved that would've been a lot
harder with an open trailer was a backyard play set for a friend.  We'd
have had to disassemble it, but instead, we had about 12 people carry it
out and set it on an open car hauler.  It was tall as hell, but it made
it.

    How much do you take to the dump at a time?  I'd buy a little Harbor
Freight 4x8 trailer, load that with trash, and then put it in the enclosed
trailer for the trip to the dump before I'd let that be my reason to get
an open hauler ;)

--
  David Hillman