[Shop-talk] LED light bulbs in garage door operators

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net s=q20121106; t=1376410673; bh=BlzOFpuJIRMxP83PNXfhmoia23y8DBalYr2d6nHN/kM=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=qFEuzY/nAhABPgalcCRSVGbWI7/5jNFEXCLD8QoiG43Pb5WN1l7k1lQE6evBS/Bku YCTjJyqb5I5D03pM9DI/oh+v91SDHNaCXP6k+hpfBuTfs0+02I6rqtnPCDO2o4FLgV BYsiD1U/V2afnRxO/N0ImG6H8mc8V8gu6ceZWWNAbcO0Sb+ZxKBxypIL1Qk/149aoi wKsqnVLCb3PHb3WdI50lZbbMCBwZlpcEaroW28LvTrt3vJxhVVbcTXrCTooPJjsKQP fZHqx4PFy5FtQ7ig57vGxLhfTTSZweTs6Ye+U2cfUPqkOMViyXkQvxEMnqXgW2Lo0K LXS9NoVbtW5TA==
Subject: [Shop-talk] LED light bulbs in garage door operators
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 16:17:53 +0000 (UTC)
LED light bulbs in garage door operators.

The 75-watt conventional rough-service incandescent bulb in my garage-door
opener burned out.  Since one wants a vibration-resistant bulb, I replaced it
with a 17-watt LED unit that gives the light of a 75-watt incandescent.

The opener started working intermittently.  Sometimes it would open but not
close with the remote, sometimes it would close but not open.  Sometimes it
worked from inside the garage, sometimes only from outside.  Only consistent
thing is that the hardwired doorbell button in the garage always worked.  All
the wireless remotes including the keypad on the outside of the garage acted
goofy.

Took the bulb out completely.  Everything worked fine.

Put in an ordinary 75-watt that was handy.  Everything worked fine but the bulb
burned out fast.

Put in a new rough-service incandescent bulb.  Everything works fine.

Obviously, I don't want to use LED lights in this operator.  Somehow the
circuitry in a multi-LED bulb does weird things with the radio in the operator.
 Anybody else ever see this effect?

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
pethier@comcast.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier