Re: [Shop-talk] LED light bulbs in garage door operators

To: pethier@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] LED light bulbs in garage door operators
From: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:38:36 -0500
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
I have not seen this specifically with the bulb in the opener, but now you
have me wondering if installing LED's in the soffit lights outside the
garage are an explanation for why the range of my garage door opener is now
a couple yards where it used to be more like a couple dozen yards.  I will
do some experiments tonight and report back.  In the mean time, to extend
the life of traditional bulbs in the opener, you might want to do what I
did.  Mount a standard fixture to the ceiling a couple feet away and wire
it to the opener.  Then you can use a standard bulb and not have the
vibration form the opener shorten the life.