Re: [Shop-talk] Alternative kitchen countertops?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Alternative kitchen countertops?
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 10:55:45 -0500
Cc: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
References: <080CB27C-CD8D-4DAE-BA90-4DC901C61ACE@groupwbench.org> s=q20121106; t=1359647748; bh=xd1dH7Y18/XHy1dxPBQ1qzkpmOKAoiu36jEGEX4vSEY=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=K2gR/DLLIj1/ND9hIzQc1RcQrIDljR84yEKp645ha0zV1sv8e4jc7ceEQdtEhz8+T W6GUln++CaYbt3oSVgnX9xJLPnA1HTTsVcGq6W5QRdOORThDonuU3FzwkhEvJ4fhEt TwClfY7c13YqJ3etBdBbmJk341Ak+y6atfsMjNNzD9ZeAe4yeKnoGwGomTYhKf48TB cXgDIYSEuXve79+amg2TzVxB77lSSX9Xbp50IOcXhWQBOv+xf48Ss1Hsk53gxzvsfA gXtjjNfHQ4cWaGrp/U7aVz/nfcNJR4VDKwSSZ+a/+WSE1yGle6s15imGyNpFZNnYda eoJ1rYzl/6jLA==
On 1/30/2013 8:00 PM, Jim Franklin wrote:
> Still reeling from the price of granite/soapstone/etc, I was researching
> alternatives. I already have an apron-front sink, which acts like an
> undermount but actually is supported on the sides at the bottom, instead of
> being clamped to the counter underside. Still, I can't really use laminate
> unless I work at waterproofing the edge where the sink is. This isn't a
> forever counter, so it is a possibility.
>
> One material that struck my eye was phenolic resin. I'd need to cut out the
> sink hole; is it easily worked with carbide blades or is it a pain?
>
> Concrete is out, way too much work.
>
> There's too much wood in the kitchen already for butcher block.
>
> Any other reasonably priced alternatives you've used (or heard of)?
>
> thanks,

Redid our counters with granite floor tiles.  Was two decades ago when
tiles were cheaper.  We found a bargain on a nice tiles under 4$ a
square foot.  Prices are higher now but shopping around you might find
some bargains.  Put down 3/4 plywood and layer of cement board set in
mortar.  Bought a cheap tile saw (< $100) and ripped strips for the edge
and laid the tiles on top.  I used a narrow gap and grout that closely
matched the tiles.  Also deliberately choose a fine grain granite so the
tiles would not stand out.  Sealed there hasn't be much grout staining
except around the coffee maker and bleach does a good cleaning that.  A
modest kitchen, about 22 linear feet including and island, was under $700.