Re: [Shop-talk] Alternative kitchen countertops?

To: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net> s=q20121106; t=1359656532; bh=/jnKBMrpq1K6tXOV+uEOyVKkV+XnQWyL5NNRkaJ7Ojg=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=aMV01UtzvLRXak9i8wD5WqwauZkuXjHGgJDjQbY49HvSFuC2jqJiTK1SzzlXvG6G/ ovwjmYWE81S25ZRHc3DVqGVluMsNWjUlwEQDDXjv12DdnzKjFmMTGwewSs/AsjtNAd ni8K1So/sr++esVncWTcO3TUSLnUAL97CROggAgZ2i1WcJyLV9aZBE8TeTdnNsFlr6 ORLnfMmS+XCjBtHoUfOQc2puYEnn9U13JwHG++ihk2qZmmO7GAYftVsRBYfRfoHrTb QEBm5pcptIeA3VCzh8Dmr6Sukh/RWDtypw2DYW0f7YJ6H84rKMLrwiFh8TDLn/cy1K hmFQ8Ox4dSq1g==
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Alternative kitchen countertops?
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:22:11 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
> Redid our counters with granite floor tiles. Was two decades ago when
> tiles were cheaper. We found a bargain on a nice tiles under 4$ a
> square foot. Prices are higher now but shopping around you might find
> some bargains. Put down 3/4 plywood and layer of cement board set in
> mortar. Bought a cheap tile saw (< $100) and ripped strips for the
> edge
> and laid the tiles on top. I used a narrow gap and grout that closely
> matched the tiles. Also deliberately choose a fine grain granite so
> the
> tiles would not stand out. Sealed there hasn't be much grout staining
> except around the coffee maker and bleach does a good cleaning that. A
> modest kitchen, about 22 linear feet including and island, was under
> $700.

Sue and I made a countertop for the new cabinets we put in the dining room.  I
fitted the backer-board and she set the tile.  She does not let me touch tile,
plastering or paint.  She loves mixed stone-and-glass tiles and was looking for
a place to use them. I don't think I'd like this for a kitchen, though.

She wanted me to buy her a new miter saw for Christmas just so she could make
the miter on the wood edging.

I'm going to try to remember to shoot the kitchen counter for a shop-talker who
asked.  I should shoot this too.  I'll post on my Flickr site tonight, if I
remember to do it...

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
pethier@comcast.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier