Re: [Shop-talk] Alternative kitchen countertops?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Alternative kitchen countertops?
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 23:48:06 -0500
On 1/30/2013 9:41 PM, Jim Juhas wrote:
> We considered tile and that turned out to be our second choice once we
> thought about the issues of keeping the grout clean.

True That! I bought my place in 2001 with 4x4" tile countertops, and
thought they looked cool and classy, and had previously seen them in
some supposedly high end homes. They are a MAJOR PITA to clean. On the
positive side: they are actually [usually] cheaper to install then
laminate. That should tell you something. I am ready to tear the crap
out and throw down cheap formica before I scrub grout again!!!

> We settled on granite and fortunately found a particular piece we liked
> that was near the bottom end of the price range.  I suggest you check

Granite is top of the price range, but can be stained and supposedly
needs some kinda sealant on it periodically. I was gonna go with one of
the synthetic or "quartz" intermediate ones, like Corian or Silstone, or
-- can't remember all the brands now, but if you've been looking you know.

Got divorced instead and had to pay to keep the place (fair deal, but
still sux) so tile it is  :(

-wayne