Re: [Shop-talk] New PC (was Dead PC)

To: KVacek@Ameritech.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] New PC (was Dead PC)
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:21:20 -0400
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
On 8/20/2012 11:05 AM, Karl Vacek wrote:
> Amen on both avoiding Dell and kudos to Lenovo.  Dell USED to be great, but
> they've cheapened beyond acceptability in random areas, plus having moved
> their support to India.  Unfortunately, HP cheapened their stuff beyond
> acceptability long ago too, and like Dell, so much is proprietary.
Reality is all of the computer manufactures are really just assemblers.
Only real difference between them is the case and support (Lenovo and HP
have the best support from recent research on laptops), possibly a
proprietary power supply though 3rd party parts can be found.  None
actually make the power supply, motherboard, processors, memory,
hardrives, etc. themselves; the just farm it out to OEM manufactures.
In the effort to hit the bullet points and compete on price, they tend
to use the lowest cost parts, like power supplies and memory.  For this
reason I never buy a system, but rather assemble it myself from parts
I've selected.  Costs more up front but in the long haul is cheaper and
better.  When I want to upgrade, I just buy a new
motherboard/processor/memory (occassionally a new PSU) and reuse all the
old components.  If a part fails, just replace with off the self
standardized parts. After an upgrade, the older replaced parts migrate
to the kids computers.

Peter T.