Re: [Shop-talk] New PC (was Dead PC)

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] New PC (was Dead PC)
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:05:31 -0500
Amen on both avoiding Dell and kudos to Lenovo.  Dell USED to be great, but
they've cheapened beyond acceptability in random areas, plus having moved
their support to India.  Unfortunately, HP cheapened their stuff beyond
acceptability long ago too, and like Dell, so much is proprietary.

I was given a year-old Lenovo ThinkPad a few years ago - it's a well-built
unit, and once I maxed out the RAM to 4 GB, put in a fast 500GB HDD, and
Win7 Pro, it still flies.  Unlike Wayne, I really like Win7, though I
skipped over Vista.  I've installed it on quite a few clients' older XP
machines, most with RAM upgrades (though as noted DDR2 is expensive) and a
new HDD for insurance, and even with minimal RAM (1-2 GB) it runs much
faster with none of XP's blue screens of death or "what the heck is it
doing" stalls.

Karl