Re: [Shop-talk] New PC (was Dead PC)

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>, Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] New PC (was Dead PC)
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 08:22:01 -0400
Hey Jim,
I'm still a Windoze XP guy. Yeah, it's 11 years old, but it's fast, does
everything I need, and I have a legit license for it on the dozen or so
machines I take care of. Don't know anyone that likes Vista. I've used 7
a little bit, and didn't see any reason to "upgrade". Mostly just frilly
graphics, and when I finally found what I was looking for, it was the
same identical friggin' dialogue box from XP. Just hidden much better.

Anyway [rant off] from what I know of windows, any hardware change like
a system board is gonna' make it refuse to boot. The Dell I recommended,
much as I like them, is getting old at this point and takes DDR2 memory,
which is a bunch more expensive & incompatible with  DDR3. It sounds
like you have an OEM licensed version of windows, so yes -- it is tied
to the system, and you can't legally transfer it to another box. Even if
you wanted to, it will probably tell you it's not on the HP it was sold
for, and refuse to install.

If you're happy with what you had, I'd try to score an identical mobo'
or system on Ebay and drop it in. Otherwise, buy a case & board from
newegg.com and build one. I'd recommend ASUS, Gateway, or MSI in that
order for boards. ASUS is somewhat pricey, but they've been the OEM
supplier to HP, IBM, and Compaq for the last couple decades. Top notch.

Shoot - your HP probably has the video integrated on the board. There's
an NVidia 8400 series board you can get for about $35 that's my fave.
It's like the slowest chipset on the market today, but by being slow
it's low-power; you can get a nice quiet fan-less board that's fast
enough for any general use. Unless you're into video games or cad/cam,
no sense running up your electric bill and listening to a fan shriek.

-w