[Shop-talk] ODBII trouble code P0316

Subject: [Shop-talk] ODBII trouble code P0316
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:40:50 +0000 (UTC)
FWIW, we got similar codes from my dad's 2000 Lincoln LS--except for the
316--along with periodic uncommanded engine shutdowns (unnerving, to say the
least). Replaced cam and crank sensors, but finally solved the problem by
replacing all the coils. This is a known problem with this car, and I wouldn't
be surprised if the same coil-on-plug coils are used on your Taurus.

New cars spark at even higher voltages than older, single coil/distributor
systems, and the COPs are about the size of a 35mm film canister. Keeping that
much voltage in check with very little insulation seems problematic to me, and
it seems quite a few cars have COP problems eventually.

The original coil on my 1967 Austin-Healey, OTOH, has been going strong for 45
years and 170K+ miles.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA