[Shop-talk] ODBII trouble code P0316

Subject: [Shop-talk] ODBII trouble code P0316
From: tr3driver at ca.rr.com (Randall)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:28:02 -0700
> I bet that over the decades, at least 50% of all coil replacements
> actually replaced a perfectly good coil, with no effect on the car's
> operation.

Very possibly.  But in my case, every replacement produced a dramatic effect
in the car's operation.  First time the TR started really hard and ran like
crap until I changed just the coil, then it started and ran great.  Second
time was worse, it would start and idle (once it had cooled off) but not run
enough to even move the car.  Changed just the coil, ran great.  I forget
the number offhand, but the high tension resistance was way higher than it
had been before.

When I bought it, the Buick would miss and cut out if you ran over a damp
sponge.  Replaced the coil (which had visible damage on the high tension
tower), problem went away.  Second time it flunked emissions even after a
tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc); after changing the coil it passed
with flying colors (for an engine with over 200,000 miles on it).

-- Randall