Re: [Shop-talk] Need some thoughts an a snow blower that will not

To: "'Arvid Jedlicka'" <arvidj@visi.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Need some thoughts an a snow blower that will not
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:14:46 -0600
Sounds normal for an engine not getting enough gas.  It will indeed run with
very little throttle opening.  The choke opening is just as small - so what
you're seeing with your thumb isn't much smaller than what it gets at full
choke.

The inlet needle should begin to admit fuel before the float reaches the end
of its travel.  Something blocking it will produce the symptoms you
describe.

Some inlet needles have elastomeric tips, which can swell or fall off.  Be
aware too that many small engines nowadays use a TINY rubber seat with a
steel needle.  You might not expect it to be there, and the rubber seat
might not be very visible till your air gun blows that seat into the
neighbor's yard.  Then will definitely have to go get another one.  It might
be sticky or hard or broken and blocking the passage too.

I'd try a good off-the-engine carb cleaning before much else, and I'd just
go buy a carb kit to get new gaskets and a new needle and seat before even
starting.  Personally I've had very mixed results with on-the-engine carb
cleaning.

Karl