Re: [Shop-talk] Off topic VOIP phones and services

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Off topic VOIP phones and services
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:02:54 -0500
Moose-

First, like others have said, thanks so much for your service. It is
most appreciated!

In a former job, I did a good amount of travel, and I eventually
started dragging a very simple Uniden 5.8GHz cordless and a Vonage ATA
around with me. Initally I used the Motorola ATA I received from them
in 2004 when I first started service, but then I bought on eBay the
Linksys WRTP54G (so I could also have wireless in my hotel room and
beyond).

With sufficient bandwidth, calls just worked, both on islands in the
middle of the ocean and in Europe. I have never really noticed much
difference in call quality when changing bandwidth settings (via the
Vonage website) down to 50Kbps or 30Kbps from the full 90Kbps.

Is your bandwidth there in Afghanistan delivered via satellite, or is
it terrestrial? If via satellite, I suspect your call quality will
suffer (because of the satellite-hop latency).

Regarding the speakerphone, one can buy Polycom Soundstation EX
systems (with two external microphones) for about $300:
(example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310176473357).
This example is designed to connect to POTS (an analog/FXO port), like
that on a Vonage ATA.

The advantage of Skype over Vonage is voice quality (with
Skype-to-Skype calls). Vonage is simpler to use (plug in, dial number
as if in USA) and supports standard POTS telephone equipment.

-Peter

--
Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Oak Hill, VA