Re: [Shop-talk] Off topic VOIP phones and services

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Off topic VOIP phones and services
From: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 6:32:28 -0800
I have had Vonage in my house. We had basically no problems with it. Customer
service is a bit of a pain as no one who answers the phone has English as their
first language, but, again, have had very few problems, I only had to call
customer service twice I think. We used a regular cordless house phone with no
issues.

We have two different polycom units where I work: One is PC based PVX software
and seems to work fine but you are limited to the size of the PC screen. The
other unit is a stand alone codec that I think is a 7000vsx (attached to a 46"
LCD screen). Most of the time the picture on this is very nice but quality is
affected by older equipment on the other end of the connection. There is also
an echo problem once in a while but I believe that is being caused by the set
up on the other end of the connection. Both of these were a pain for our
firewall team to configure firewall rules to get connectivity with outside
entities. Both of our polcoms system use IP to IP connections right over the
internet.

Tim

---- eric@megageek.com wrote:

=============
As you know, I'm stuck here in Afghanistan.  I have been tasked with
finding a VOIP provider and phone to use.

Since I have no friends back home that want to talk to me, I haven't used
any of these services to any extent.  I do have a free "Voxalot" account
to call an IP phone in my house to talk to the housesitter, but it's a
pain to use and maintain.

So my first questions is, can anyone tell me which is better Vontage or
Skype?  (and why?)

I have a pretty good internet connection here finally (1mb down and 512
Up), but we need a REALLY good speaker phone for calls back the US.

Which company is better and which speakerphone works the best with them? I
know that "magic jack" lets you use any standard phone, but it has
advertising built into its paid service.

So if you can recommend a speakerphone as well, that is cool.

Price really isn't a big deal as I would image the phone and service
shouldn't be more than $500.

(BTW, I'm looking into getting a Polycom system as well, is there one of
those that works on VOIP?)

Thanks.

Moose (Who still has no idea how long I'll be stuck here.  I even started
to take Dari language lessons!)

Waldo Emerson