Re: [Shop-talk] Off topic VOIP phones and services

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Off topic VOIP phones and services
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 06:30:32 -0800
I have Vonage and overall I'm happy with it.  Major difference with Skype is
that Vonage is a hardware service and Skype
is software; i.e. it requires a computer.  My Vonage service came with a
Linksys router--similar to the ubiquitous
WRT54--that plugs into an ethernet connection and has two RJ-11 jacks for
phones and/or a FAX (I hang it off a port from
a WRT54).  My Vonage router came pre-configured for my phone number. It's
completely transparent.  Once in a while the
audio quality will deteriorate and I'll have to power cycle the Vonage router
to regain it.  Think VOIP requires about
80Kbps.

Haven't kept up on Skype--last I heard they were going to start charging for
calls.  Unless they've developed a hardware
solution, the Vonage service should be less hassle--it will be 'on' as long as
you have an Internet connection--but more
expensive.  I get 400 min of domestic calling for about $25/mo.  International
will, of course, be more (if they don't
offer a discount for service members, they should).

We appreciate your service, even if we don't show it enough.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums