Re: [Shop-talk] pressure reducing valve

To: pat@hornesystemstx.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] pressure reducing valve
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:46:04 -0400
I'm not sure if you're directing this to me or Scott, who was the
original poster.  In my system, the tank is connected to a brass "T"
manifold.  It has four threaded "ports".  They are used for a boiler
drain valve, the pressure switch, a pressure gauge and the relief
valve pictured in the link below.  The input side of the "T" has the
check valve.  This keeps water from going back down the well, though
I have heard arguments for why this isn't necessary.  The output side
of the "T" goes to supply all the water to the house.  The "center"
branch of the "T" goes to the tank.  The "other side" of the pressure
relief valve is not connected to anything.  If the system pressure
exceeds 75 psi, water will be released onto the basement floor.  It
sounds like the item Scott is describing is not really a valve, but a
pressure regulator, in-line with the water supply.  These are not
uncommon in houses with municipal water when the street pressure is
too high. Still don't understand why you'd want/need one with a well, though.

-Steve