Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:43:18 -0800
It has been my experience that CFL's don't like to be turned off/on (seems
to dramatically shorten their lives). I put them in the bathrooms where they
are turned off and on many times a day (no windows) and they seem to die
frequently even though the total number of hours on are very low compared to
the ones in the living room that get many hours of use but are turned off/on
once a day. Perhaps it could be the humidity, too, I suppose.

As far as Feit CFL's, I bought a bunch a couple years ago and almost all of
them failed -- I think they put out a bad batch.

To their credit, when I emailed them to complain (I had no receipt or proof
of purchase), they agreed to send me replacements for free even without a
receipt. Then someone in their shipping dept. screwed up and they sent me
the replacements twice. I contacted them to let them know that they sent me
twice as many bulbs as they should have and I offered to send them back if
they would give me a shipping address, and they told me to keep them and
they were sorry for the failures.

I don't think any of the replacements have failed, so I am thinking they
just had a bad batch.With these mass-produced consumable coming from China,
there could be millions of them in the supply chain (in containers on ships,
in warehouses, etc.) before they find out that there was a
engineering/manufacturing flaw.

I am impressed at how well Feit stood behind their products, though.
Initially I thought I would never buy another Feit, but they changed my
mind.

best,

doug