Re: [Shop-talk] Epoxy recommendations?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Epoxy recommendations?
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:13:55 -0800 (PST)
I'll echo what John said, to a point. It depends entirely on what
the part costs vs how much of a nuisance it is to replace.

At our vacation place, we have a Kenmore that must be 30 years old,
maybe older (it was harvest gold, along with all the other appliances,
until I found the white panel). It started washing poorly; I figured
out that it wasn't filling well. Replacing the valve was a small nuisance,
cheap, and solved the problem. We run that dishwasher about once every
three weeks, so not investing in a new one is the right answer for now.

At home, we had a newer one that started washing poorly, especially
the upper rack. I investigated and found that some of the seals that
cause the water to jet to the top had hardened and split. They were
sort of easy to fix, so I did.

Helped, but not enough. Overall internal pressure was still low. I
could have pulled the pump to replace some parts ... and then it
might still not have been enough, so I might have had to do it again...

We bought a new one. That was the right answer.