Re: [Shop-talk] GPS experiences ?

To: Karl Vacek <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GPS experiences ?
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:24:04 +0300
Karl, asks about the TomTom,

Karl, I was in the market for a GPS a few years back and I have a buddy
that is a MAJOR gadget freak.  He actually spent time reading articles and
testing GPSs.  There was a awesome website that had "head to head" GPS
tests (but I can't find the link.)

There was something about the TomTom that made it less than desirable.
(but it did do military MGRS coordinates.)

But the NUVI was the hands down winner.  For easy of use and flexibility,
it can't be beat.

I bought the 350, and I couldn't be happier.

I've had that Garmin unit from Canada to Mexico to the Baja peninsula and
it's great!  I now have it with my in Iraq and I was able to DL an iraqi
map to it!   There are lots of hacks and Garmin supported software addons
as well.

I don't remember what the TomTom was weak at, but it was a good unit
otherwise.  The Nuvi was far superior however.

Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.