Re: [Shop-talk] GPS experiences ?

To: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GPS experiences ?
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:22:47 -0600
Garmin gets $80 per year for new US maps, and the maps are in some cases many
years behind in adding new roads.  Is TomTom more expensive or worse ?

The way I can get a discount on a TomTom is through my daughter's roommate -
she works for Navteq, who supplies TomTom's maps.  She says their maps are up
to date, but I haven't seen any actual local maps.  Reviews I've read, though,
say that the TeleAtlas (Garmin uses them) maps are a little better, but I
suspect that's highly dependent upon the specific region.

Karl