Re: [Shop-talk] GPS experiences ?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GPS experiences ?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:33:07 -0800
> Based on this
> quirky unit, the expensive and out-of-date maps, and the nasty treatment
> in the Garmin store in downtown Chicago, I don't see at all how they're
> the leaders.

Hard to compare apples to apples in the GPS world.  Garmin makes a lot of
much more expensive GPS units (for aviation, plus surveying and other high
precision applications), which also enjoy considerable success (and make
them a large company); while TomTom is pretty much focused on the much less
expensive "personal navigation" market.  I don't know the relative numbers,
but I wouldn't be at all surprised if TomTom sold more units to the market
you are looking at than Garmin did.  You have to sell an awful lot of $400
personal units to match the profit on one $4000 aviation unit.

But since Garmin also competes (to some extent) with my company, I probably
shouldn't say any more.

> And why it has such a weird name  ;-)

What do you expect from three Dutch geeks <G>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Nk2IQ8hes

Randall