Re: [Shop-talk] Air Hose Reel

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air Hose Reel
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:12:39 -0400
At 09:34 AM 4/21/2008 -0400, Paul Parkanzky wrote:

>I just bought my first real compressor and now I want to get a hose reel
>so I'm not constantly tripping over the crappy red Craftsman air hose I've
>had forever....

>I've installed the compressor against the back wall (opposite the doors)
>between the 2-car and 1-car bays (A few feet to the left of the roller
>cabinet).  I want a hose reel, because I need a new hose anyway and
>this way I will be less likely to leave it laying in a pile in the
>corner.

Paul,

What is your definiation of a real compressor?  I have my compressor mounted
at the back of my garage also.  It's a 5hp 30 gal oil lubed one.  I wish I
a bigger one.  Just like disk space, I don't care how big it is, it isn't
enough. :)  However, I do most of my work in the driveway in front of the
garage, as it's easier to get around the car outside vs in the garage.  The
problem is I need over 20' just to get to the garage doors, then well over
another 20' out side.  So I was using 100' of air hose.

As others have suggested, don't get the PVC hose.  I got a 50' length of it,
and it's fine in the summer, but when the temp drops to the 60s it really
starts to stiffen up.  Won't unravel and wont curl up when I'm done.

As someone else said, go with at least 3/8" hose.  An air hose is just
like electrical wiring.  The smaller the hose and the longer the hose the
more losses you have.

I stongly plumbing you shop with pipe first.  I finally did that, it's
great.  I have a drop at the back, by the side door (where I do my sand
blasting), and between the front doors.  So now I can shorten the hose
length and get more air.

If you get a reel try to place it where you can reach anything with 50' or
less.  This will give you more air power available.  Or as someone said
get a freestanding hose, maybe on wheels so you can roll it out the front
of the shop and connect it to the plumbing, or to the back etc.

I've never bothered with the reel.  I have several lengths, on about 25'
and several 50' lengths.  So I can make it as long as I need it.  I was
working in the back yard the other day and need something like 150' so
I connected several sections together and was able to reach when I needed
to.  Granted I didn't have as much air flow as possible, but for that use
it wasn't a real requirement.

I keep the hoses coiled up and hanging from hooks on some shelves I've
suspended from the ceiling.  Yes, it can be a pain having to lug them
out, and coil them back up, but it's no worse than having to go to the
tool box to get a tool.  I pull out a section of hose before I start
working on a job, and put it up when I'm done, just like all the other
tools.

If I had a lift, I might think about a reel.  And place it near the lift
so I could get around with out having to pull out a hunk of hose.

Always use the shortest hose you can.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229