[Shop-talk] Air Hose Reel

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Air Hose Reel
From: "Paul Parkanzky" <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:34:32 -0400
I did a quick search of the archives and see that this hasn't been
covered in a bit more than 4 years.  I just bought my first real
compressor and now I want to get a hose reel so I'm not constantly
tripping over the crappy red Craftsman air hose I've had forever.

I have a three car attached garage.  There is a single bay on the left
and a 2-car on the right as you look at the house from the street.  I
have a lift in the left side of the 2-car portion (sort of the middle
of the garage) and my roller cabinet is in front of the lift.  I've
installed the compressor against the back wall (opposite the doors)
between the 2-car and 1-car bays (A few feet to the left of the roller
cabinet).  I want a hose reel, because I need a new hose anyway and
this way I will be less likely to leave it laying in a pile in the
corner.

In reading the archives I see that one lister put his hose reel ~7'
off the ground on the wall and then attached a 5' whip to make it
easier to reach.  I like that idea and I'm probably going to copy it.
I keep seeing Legacy autowinding reels.  I'm leaning toward this one:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?mpe_id=12075&cm_cr=No+Campaign-_-Web+Activity-_-Cross+Sell+Up+Sell-_-ProductDetail_Espot1-_-Levelwind+Retractable+Hose+Reel+for+Air+with+3%2F8+in+ID+x+75+ft+Hose&catalogId=10001&productId=35435&evtype=CpgnClick&intv_id=15001&langId=-1&storeId=10551&ddkey=http:ClickInfo

That's enough hose that I could easily do anything I want in the shop
and have plenty of reserve to pull it out into the driveway to air up
the tires of something parked in front of the garage.  Does anybody
know anything about these reels?  Sears seems to sell a very similar
Legacy reel for $10 more.  If the Shop-talk consensus is that this is
the one to have I will try to be a bit patient and wait for one of
them to go on sale.

Thanks,

-Paul