[Shop-talk] Automatic transmission rebuild

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Automatic transmission rebuild
From: "Bill Gingerich" <bill@gingerich.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:50:12 -0600
Greetings, All.

I have a '93 Ford Escort with a failing automatic transmission.  Slips,
delayed engagement, delayed shifting, etc.  The car has 90M on it, and is
solid otherwise.  It was my dad's car from new, so I know the history.  I've
received quotes of anywhere from $1000 (local shop) to $3000 (dealer) for a
rebuild.  My problem is I don't have that kind of spare change.  I also
can't afford to replace the car.  I've looked for a junkyard transmission,
but most of those have more miles than what I have.  It seems a bit silly to
spend $400-$600 on a used box that may not be much better than what I have.
O'Reilly has a master rebuild kit that I can get for $255.  I'd like to fix
the car, as 30 MPH beats my truck's 14.  OK, so now the question: Is
rebuilding and automatic something that a slightly above average DIY grease
monkey can do at home?  I have the factory service CD for the car, but
haven't read through it yet.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated as long as they are
physically possible.  ;-)

Bill Gingerich

OKC