[Shop-talk] Fluorescent ballasts in the cold

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Fluorescent ballasts in the cold
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:55:50 -0600
Electronic fluorescent ballasts are able to start the tube down to zero
degrees F, whereas many plain old transformer ballasts recommend temps above
60 and practically don't seem to start well below maybe 20 degrees.

I need a few fixtures in an unheated space and happen to have enough
fluorescent shop lights lying around, but  they've got the old ballasts.

Replacement electronic ballasts are more expensive than new electronic-ballast
fixtures, so that's not an option.  I could just buy new fixtures, but my
winter use of the hangar is pretty infrequent.

Does turning them on and letting them flicker till they eventually get warm
enough to light do any harm, and if so, to the ballast or to the tube ?  I
suppose I could also put a light bulb right at each fixture at the ballast and
let them run for a while to warm the ballasts - or is it the tube that needs
to be warm ?

Thanks!
Karl