Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic transmission rebuild

To: "Bill Gingerich" <bill@gingerich.us>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Automatic transmission rebuild
From: <shochschild@att.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 20:05:59 -0600
If you haven't already, I would do some other things first, like changing
out the fluid, cleaning the filter, adjusting the kick down linkage, and
adjusting the bands, all of which you can do on a Saturday afternoon, won't
cost hardly anything, and is all covered in the service manual.  You might
be pleasantly surprised, and you may as well get up close with the thing
since you are considering climbing inside it.

I decided it was too much for me.  When I upgraded my '94 Jeep Grand
Cherokee from a 5.2 V8 to a 5.9, I did all the engine remove, rebuild, &
install work myself, but I took the transmission to a Midas shop where they
did a rebuild for $800.

Do you have a transmission jack?  A way to get it up on your super clean and
fluid proof workbench?  All the pullers and other weird tools?  You will
have to buy a torque converter either way I bet.  A thousand bucks might be
a better deal than you think...